Planning and Community Development

The City of Delafield contracts to third party vendors for Planning, Inspection, and Engineering services.

​​For planning and general "where do I begin?" queries, please start with the City Planner.

​If you would like information about smaller projects such as fences, swimming pools, single family residential home additions, etc., please call the City Building Inspector.

​If you already have a plan in place and need to fine tune building plans or storm water agreements, please call our City Engineer.

​Any fees incurred from the third party vendors may pass through to the applicant. The

Professional Services Agreement

must be signed before being seen by any Council, Board, Committee, or Commission.

We accept credit cards, cash, and checks. Credit Card payments can be made here: 

Contact Us

  1. Scott Hussinger - Building Inspector
    City Hall (Lower Level)
    500 Genesee St.
    Delafield, WI  53018
    Ph: 262-490-8222
    Fx: 262-646-6223
  2. Mike Court - City Engineer
    501 Maple Ave. 
    Delafield, WI 53018
    Ph: 414.949.8905
  3. Roger Dupler - City Planner
    rtdupler planning consultant, LLC
    P.O. Box 2
    Wales, WI 53183
    Ph: 262-505-3258
Where to begin
PC flow

The City Planner Process

The full process in color can be viewed here.

Because this process is so complex and a third party planner is involved, we encourage you to confirm your completed application with both the City and the Planner prior to the deadline.

Please note the process may be cyclical depending on how many times you are asked to revise. Other steps may be included in this process such as a preliminary Plan Commission presentation prior to a full review of material or a Public Hearing which will require additional notices and time.  

  1. Contact the City Planner
  2. Plan Staff Meeting (if needed)
  3. Revisions based on Planner and City feedback
  4. Planner Full Review
  5. Plan Commission
    1. Park & Recreation Commission if needed - separate fee
    2. Lake Welfare Committee if needed - separate fee
    3. Public Works Committee if needed - separate fee
    4. All Commissions and Committees include the verbiage "subject to approval by the Common Council"
  6. Common Council (approve, approve with conditions, deny.

Final Plans include but are not limited to: Final Conditional Use, Final Storm Water Maintenance Agreement, Final Deeds, Covenants, Restrictions, Final Site Plan, Final CSM, Final Building floor plans and elevations, Final Engineering Plan, Final Landscape Plan, Final Erosion Control Plan, Final Tree Mitigation Plan, Final Storm Water Report, Final Traffic Report, Final Developers Agreement, Final Plat of Survey with Easements. 

Checklists to make sure you have all items completed correctly are listed below. We strongly encourage you to use these checklists in conjunction with the Planner meeting. 

When submitting your items to the City Hall, the Planner may not be available for questions. The staff at City Hall will rely solely on the checklists to make sure your documents are in good order and complete.

   We encourage all applicants to submit items well before the deadlines. All application material must be submitted in its entirety. No late portions to a submission will be accepted. Use the deadline calendar to ensure you are submitting your items on time. Items submitted to these third party vendors will be passed to the City Hall Clerk's Office and included in the packet for the Council, Board, Commission, or Committee. The third party vendors have a deadline of their own to get items to the Clerk for publication. Late items will be placed on the next agenda for that meeting group.

Deadline Calendar

Planning and Community Development Application 

Waukesha County Register of Deeds Recording Guidelines


Applicants with conceptual proposals are required to meet with the City Planner before applying to be on the Plan Commission. A review will be completed and you will be informed if you need to attend a Plan Staff meeting. A Plan Staff meeting is an informal meeting with the Mayor, Engineer, Planner, Attorney, Administrator, Building Inspector and Fire Department in which each department reviews your proposal and helps prepare you for the Plan Commission meeting. These meetings are by appointment only on Wednesday mornings.

Planning and Community Development Application - Includes information for all projects and should be a starting point for you and the planner, inspector, or engineer.
Business Plan of Operation Checklist - Used when opening a new business, changing your existing business, or having a temporary event. Be sure to update your liquor license as well if needed.
Boat House Checklist
Conditional Use Checklist - Requires Public Hearing
Certified Survey Map Checklist (CSM) - Used when combining or splitting a parcel. Check with the planner before submitting to Waukesha County.
Site Plan Checklist - Required when changing building colors, structure, grading, lighting, or landscaping.
Permanent Sign Checklist - This checklist is for permanent signs only. Click the link to apply for a temporary sign.

Other ("Level C") Checklists - These checklists are very specific to projects. Which means you might not need them. These checklists will help you accurately provide the supporting exhibits for your project. It is indicated on the checklist within the Planning and Community Development Application if these are required for your submittal.
Building Plan Checklist
Grading Plan Checklist
Landscape Plan Checklist  
Lighting Plan Checklist
Plat of Survey Checklist 
Storm Water Management Checklist